My Sara Groves collection is (almost) complete. Today my copy of Conversations arrived. On first listening, I like it, and I assume it will only grow on me. This afternoon on the way to Z's guitar lesson we were listening to Awake, Josh Groban's latest. You know, he just has the most amazing voice. I think it is pretty much perfect. The 4th cut is cool, "February Song". Listen to part of it on his website. I have no idea what the lyric is about, but musically it is just delish. Like buttah.
So, you see, I can be shallow and like a song just for how it sounds and not for its deep meaning. Or lack thereof.

4 comments:
Ya know, I really love Sara Grove's newer album "Add to the Beauty" (I think it is called). I think she is very talented musically (her voice is alright--she reminds me of Amy Grant a lot) and I do enjoy her song writing. But after many many listens of that album (which I really love) I find that she uses the words "beauty" a lot (which probably is why the album has that word in the title) but for some reason it gets me. I think that is the same for Coldplay or something---Chris Martin can't get away from the word "opportunity" for some reason. He always talks about "waiting" too. Huh. I am just thinking out loud.
Anyway, I have been trying to get into the All Right Here album and I just don't like it at all. I wish I did! I don't know what it is about it; the new one is light years better. I think it is because Brown Bannister produced it and then again, she sounds like Amy Grant (which would not surprise me because Brown was her producer for years and years). I will say for the record, I am not a fan of Amy Grant; I just used to be back in the day.
It is the same thing with Jennifer Knapp. I love her voice. I love the way she writes---she is hopelessly sad and self-condemning, which I like. I love her album called "The Way I Am" but do not like any of the ones prior. I think they are boring and I could never get into them at all, no matter how nice her voice was. I can't even say with authority that her voice was really impressive then. I am not sure what it was!
I really enjoy Josh Groban's voice too. In a classical way. I would never buy his album, but I do like to listen to someone who can really sing beautifully in a trained manner. It reminds me of my choir days in high school.
Huh.
Hey Rach. I still think it is funny that you think Sara Groves sounds like Amy Grant because I really do NOT like AG and I (as we all know) love SG.
Oh well.
Today as I was listening to the CD I just got I was thinking that she (Sara Groves) reminds me (her voice) of that singer who recorded that "Luca" song way back in the 80s. Her name escapes me at the moment... the lyric goes "My name is Luca" and then goes on to tell this sad tale... details are fuzzy at the moment.
Jennifer Knapp. I do like her, when I'm in the mood for over-the-top intensity. Her voice reminds me of that "Come to my Window" chick, yea, Melissa Etheridge.
I think the lyrics on Add to the Beauty reflect that SG might have been reading some of John Eldredge's books. Wild at Heart and such. In any case, I like what she has to say and I don't mind how she says it.
Thanks for commenting! ;-)
Yeah, you are right--SG sounds like the Luca chick. That was not Suzanne Vega, it was someone else, wasn't it? "I live on the second floor, I live upstairs from you, guess you've never seen me before.. if you hear something late at night, some kind of trouble some kind of fight, just don't ask me what it was.." yep, I remember the song.
Funny you say that about Jennifer Knapp. She does have a Melissa Etheridge sound. Apparently the rumor is she shares her common sin as well (of being homosexual). I have not seen Knapp lately and was looking here and there surfing the web for clues. Apparently someone said she moved to New Zealand with her significant other? Don't know if it is real or not, but many many things are out there that she has struggled with being a lesbian. She really has dropped off the map though.
It is Suzanne Vega.
I had not heard that about JK. But we sure had wondered about her disappearance and she did/does seem incredibly angst/guilt-ridden. Sad. I hope that rumor is wrong.
Post a Comment