Tuesday, December 09, 2008

Today's another day & other Random Holiday-ish Thoughts

Yesterday I was a bit rough around the edges, as my family will attest. I suppose I can blame it on not sleeping well (dh is sick = increased "night noise") but at any rate, I was grumpy.

Today hopefully will be better. At least I feel better, so that's good.

More on top of things, at any rate.

And there's some yummy coffee cake yumminess (had to get that word in there twice) in the oven so that always helps the General Mood.

Older dd complained last night that she's having a rough time "getting into the Christmas spirit". My reminder to her that it's not Christmas yet ("it's Advent, honey, not Christmas") didn't really fly. We're one of those sort of conflicted families in regards to the whole Advent/Christmas thing. Growing up I don't recall even hearing the word Advent, but during our years in the ECUSA (1997-2005 to be exact) we learned so much about the Church year, including the season of Advent (it's all about waiting and not-yet-ness) and that Christmas is actually more than one day, (12 in fact!), etc. etc.

Of course now we're over in the PCUSA where they talk much more about Advent (than they did in my OP church growing up) and try to remind people that it is Advent but most everyone acts like it's Christmas and there are wreaths and trees and manger scenes everywhere.

So, I cringe a bit when people talk about Christmas being here already (it's not even mid-December yet!) and the only thing "Christmas-y" we have out is the Advent wreath on the kitchen table (properly lighted thanks to older dd's instruction), but we'll be putting the rest of the actual Christmas decorations out this week probably and we'll be getting our tree this weekend. Plus, we open all the presents on Christmas morning. (Haven't been able to talk the kids into the Twelve Days thing.)

What about you?

No comments: