Thursday, October 19, 2006

Don't let me get too deep

WARNING: Here comes a very long (for me) ramble about a bunch of sorta-related stuff. Just skip it if you're not in the mood. Generally I don't blog like this, in case you've not noticed. I'm not sure why. I've also been wondering lately why I'm such a TALKER and not much of a WRITER and if that might be why I'm not much of a DEEP BLOGGER. I never liked journalling. Don't particularly enjoy writing things out, would rather talk about them. Am I afraid of appearing to be too self-absorbed if I write about my feelings, thoughts, ideas? Do I not want to dip into "airing my laundry" for all the blog-world to see? But then again, since only about 3 people read this blog, I guess it doesn't really matter.

So without further ado.

I've been thinking a lot lately about a lot of stuff.

Well, actually I think that I think a lot about a lot of stuff. But maybe more so lately?

Next week I turn 43, I'm pretty sure. (I have a hard time keeping up with my age and often have to do the math. So, 2006 take away 1963... yea that leaves 43.) My dh turns 46 on Monday. Little sis turns 40 on Monday. Baby brother turns 37 at the end of the month.

Right, I'm not to the deep part yet, but we are all getting older. That's clear.

I wonder a LOT, what will I look back on and say, "well, THAT was a waste of time".

What will I wish I'd done instead? But then I think this is a silly way to think. I mean, really, I am the wife of a very busy academic-type who travels a ton and we homeschool, me and the 3 kids. I have a dog, a house, and a few friends. I'm trying to be a relatively decent church member. What really do I think I have the time and energy for in addition to this?

The other night when I was watching the Sara Groves documentary (mentioned below) I started bawling. I mean really crying hard. I think it was when she said something like "when my life is over I want to have it all be gone, wax and the whole wick. I want my kids to see that I've really lived and used it all up..." (Or it could have been because it was late at night and I really needed to go to bed?) Anyway what she said really got me, not entirely because I wished I could say that too but because I wasn't sure I wanted to say it.

I mean, the thing is, I have lots and lots of ideas, dreams, thoughts, hopes, plans, etc. but most of them don't ever leave my head.

Sometimes that's because I don't let them (i.e., if you don't say it out loud then you won't ever be held to it and then there's no chance of failure, not to mention success) and sometimes it is just because I am too tired, fearful, dare-I-say-it, lazy to try to make them happen.

Often I stop short because I figure whatever it is, I just can't do it. And I really do not like this about myself. I would much prefer to be the best version of me.

So is it about accepting where and who I am and the limits that exist (both that I've placed on myself and those that I can't change), or?

And, what exactly is excellence? How do people who do (what I think is) great stuff actually do it? Why are some people really good at things and why can't I be really good at something? Do I have to be kinda-good-at-a-lot-of-things for the rest of my life or do I get to shine at something? Do people who are really good at something appreciate that?

I asked a couple of friends some of these questions the other day. In their kindness, I think they misunderstood me a bit and thought I was looking for affirmation so they told me that I was incredibly good at organizing & keeping house. I did appreciate their words, but it really wasn't what I was looking for. (It reminds me of when my sister was told that her strong suit is that she is "good with paper" -- but that's possibly a story for another day.)

The joke is that on my tombstone it will say "she knew where stuff was".

I really hope it's something else.

3 comments:

R said...

I so understand you, Em.

I think if we go deep enough, the only real important thing that we be is like Christ. I figure that if I died now, I would be satisfied if anyone said of me that I just "loved."

Sure, I sing and make soap, but who is going to always remember all that? John Lennon is now a sack of bones if that. Angels will always sing better than me no matter how hard I try to be the best singer I can on this earth, and there will be no purification and cleansing like the kind when we meet our Maker in heaven, so who cares about soap. The key is that we have humbled ourselves and let Christ reign within us. If that is within the walls of our homes or out on the streets inviting others into the Kingdom, it is the same. No one will remember you or me generations later when we die. Only God will. And I suppose that is what makes our relationship with Him so personal. Ultimately, He is the one that orders my life and brings me to Himself---He is the one who remembers me when others will not.

If I can grasp all that and live it myself I will be in a good way. Sanctification, I say.

Laura said...

Funny that you bring this up Em b/c I was having a similar conversation with my good friend Bonnie (mother of nine, yes I said 9, kids) about this type of stuff just a month or two ago.

I have to repeat this part of your blog and then I'll comment:

And, what exactly is excellence? How do people who do (what I think is) great stuff actually do it? Why are some people really good at things and why can't I be really good at something? Do I have to be kinda-good-at-a-lot-of-things for the rest of my life or do I get to shine at something? Do people who are really good at something appreciate that?

I asked a couple of friends some of these questions the other day. In their kindness, I think they misunderstood me a bit and thought I was looking for affirmation so they told me that I was incredibly good at organizing & keeping house. I did appreciate their words, but it really wasn't what I was looking for. (It reminds me of when my sister was told that her strong suit is that she is "good with paper" -- but that's possibly a story for another day.)

Okay, now here's my part (Laura). As I'm reading this section it is totally resonating with me because my whole life I've thought of myself as mediocre. I can do lots of things moderately well. But what do I do, the one special thing, really well? Can't think of a thing.
And as I'm reading about your friends' encouragements that you keep a really nice house, I'm thinking "ack!" that's like when I was told I'm really good at organizing things, aka, "good with paper" and there it is -- you brought it up without me having to. That tickled me.

Rachel brings up some very, very good points and I will have to read it again and chew on it a bit more. It brings a new level of understanding and a deeper dimension to "the chief end of man is to glorify God and to enjoy him forever."

Emily said...

Thanks ladies for your thoughts and input. It is much appreciated!