Tuesday, May 08, 2007

Winding down vs. winding up

I've been thinking recently of another difference between the "homeschooling" world and the "out-of-the-homeschooling" world. (Help me here, I need some new words!)

May is an officially Crazy Month out there in the world of school. Everyone is coming and going at great speeds and there are recitals, tests, concerts, shows, projects, and end-of-year picnics (well, I don't know if there are end-of-year picnics, but I'm thinking there should be). Actually I don't really KNOW what everyone is doing specifically, all I know is that I HEAR that everyone is Very Busy. More Busy Than Usual. Like, Winning the Most Busy contest.

In contrast, our life is slowing down. Things have ended. We have begun the slide into summer that we experience every year at this time. We have more room in our daily & weekly schedule. Older ds has completed almost all his academic work for the year. Older dd is close to finished. Younger dd is pretty much done (though she doesn't really know it and I am still trying to keep her occupied with math pages and such-like). Yes, we do have to do the annual test rigamarole (sp?) but that's No Big Deal when you do it in the home at your own pace.

I don't know. Maybe I have it wrong and am missing something. Maybe I need to quick find more stuff to do rather than spend hours outside messing around in the dirt or inside working on scrapbook pages. Maybe I need to teach my children more better how to wind themselves up into a May-frenzy. Maybe they shouldn't have quite so much time on their hands. Perhaps it's wrong that I'm not driving to as many things as much.

Probably not. Especially since summer promises to be a bit more fuller than usual. I'll need lots of energy for all the stuff we've got planned....

No comments: