Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Friends

I've had a lot of opportunity to think lately about friendship. Random thoughts mostly, not very connected and not very neat.

Recently a friend of my daughter's (that she's had for over 7 years) decided that she no longer had an interest in dd (ostensibly because dd is not old enough and she is now interested in being friends only with girls *older* than her) and that she (the former friend) would not be spending any time with her (dd) anymore. A shocking, hurtful blow to dd... and an opportunity for lots of learning.

Also, I realized recently that my dh is really & truly my best friend. (I don't know if I'm his, but that probably doesn't really matter.) I don't actually have many good women friends -- or what I would call good friends. One or two, maybe. (Not counting my sisters who are and will always also be my best friends. Goes without sayin'.)

I have several women friends who seem to like me well enough, but honestly I think maybe our relationship is really just all about them. They never ask me much about my life or concerns or thoughts or questions or dreams. When we get together we talk about them. They are pretty needy and I seem to meet their needs somehow. When I try to change the subject to something I've been thinking or wondering about it usually gets changed rather quickly back to them and whatever their current issue is. Dh and I have decided I seem to attract people like this.

One of my homeschooling mom-friends is currently struggling with the loss of her long-time friend and next-door neighbor who is moving to another state. It's crushing her. My sister has suffered the losses of several good friends over the last 10 years, either to out-of-state moves or other unforseen circumstances. It seems like really good friends come and go. Is it our culture, or something else?

A few years ago I told a friend that I could no longer be her friend. This is haunting me right now, due to the pain my dd is currently feeling. This particular friend was draining me beyond my ability to cope. She was always in a crisis and always needed me in a way that I felt I just couldn't respond to. I just couldn't do it any longer and told her so. Unfortunately a complete break was the only way I could deal with it at the time. I have realized lately that it might have been better if I could have thought of something else... I realize I probably hurt her very deeply.

So, I'm back to my question. What *is* a friend?

Does the Bible talk about friendship at all? What does God intend for us in friendship?

I know there are only like about 3.5 readers of this blog and one is my dh so he doesn't count. (Well at least as a blog reader he doesn't.) So I don't really expect any comments. I guess I just had to put my thoughts and questions out there.

I will probably delete this post tomorrow anyway.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Might not be a bad idea to say you're sorry to SA for how you ended that? Would make her feel much better.

Emily said...

yah I've been thinking that

Anonymous said...

"I have several women friends who seem to like me well enough, but honestly I think maybe our relationship is really just all about them. They never ask me much about my life or concerns or thoughts or questions or dreams. When we get together we talk about them. "

I hope this is not describing me! If it is, I will do better!

Friends are for a season, I think. Sometimes the season is an NC summer, sometimes the season is an NC winter. Just remember, "there is a friend that sticks closer than a brother" and as you said in your other post, He's taking care of you.

R said...

I am afraid that I am one of those people that always dumps on other friends, although I am very interested in what my friends are doing and would love to talk about their lives. I feel like I am a needy person at times and fear being labeled as that. It takes work and practice to be a good friend.

Maybe that person that was draining you needed to hear it. I am serious. I have had a person or two that I have had to cut things off with because it was getting to the point where it was either my sanity and my family or them. These are not the right priorities and if a friend asks this of you either by mouth or by action, it has to end. Sometimes it is the hard way that gets people to see things. Your first ministry is to your family and sometimes if the friend is affecting you in such a way that you are not able to be yourself with your family, then again, it is not right.

Emily said...

I agree totally with you Rach, and that is why that friendship had to end... I just think with a few years perspective and a bit more maturity I probably could have handled the end of it a bit better, I don't know for sure though! Hindsight is 20/20. Maybe it was the best I could have done at the time.

MLight said...

I hope we can keep in touch (even if only through blogs!) even though K isn't going to be in dance with E this year (and for K, telling E about it was one of the hardest parts of the decision!).