Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Drought

Wow, it is really bad here in central NC. We are on a well, so we really aren't sure if we have a problem or not but to be prudent we have enacted some water-saving measures... very short showers, using paper products where we can, not doing laundry unless we must, just overall trying not to turn the tap on, flush less, etc. I'm even putting buckets in the showers to catch the water before it gets hot -- for watering some of the needier plants outside.

All good stuff to do in any case, but right now it feels absolutely necessary to conserve.

Pray for rain.

ETA: It rained for about 12 minutes this morning. We got all excited. Hopefully there'll be more later... or tomorrow.

2 comments:

R said...

Conserving the water from the shower before it gets hot sounds too involved to me. Good grief, woman, are you so energetic that you do this? I understand there is a drought (it is all Dear Sir talks about these days) and I am ALL FOR conserving water, but gee whiz, I am not about to go and glean water before it gets hot.

I don't recycle either.

And I used diapers.

But I don't run water when I brush my teeth.

I hope you know I get a total kick out of you. LOL!

Emily said...

It's actually really easy (just put a bucket under the shower faucet)... I guess it just helps to feel like we are doing something to conserve since we don't know if our well will last another week or into next year (with no rain).

And then I don't feel guilty for dumping the *gleaned* water on my potted plants.

At any rate (love saying that) I am glad I can provide you with some entertainment, since you do the same for me! ;-)