Saturday, October 27, 2007

Mums the word

The border beside the driveway has suffered in the heat & drought, and sure is happy about the rain of the last few days.

My friend L gave me two of these chrysanthemums last fall and they are doing fine, still blooming even though the deer did their best to keep that from happening. It's so nice to have a spot of color in an otherwise rather dreary-looking garden bed.

The lambs ear is ok and a few other things are trying to stay alive, but I've cut back most everything so the bed looks rather bare.

The farmers market in town has been a great source for plants this year. I bought 5 or 6 Sedum "Autumn Joy" for $2 or $3 each and two Pieris bushes for cheap. Plus 4 or 5 other perennials whose names I can't now remember... they've been tucked into the ground and hopefully will do well next year.

1 comment:

MLight said...

I'm glad the chrysanthemums are doing well! Ours are providing a wonderful last burst of flowers.

I'd like to stop by the farmers market again for a few perennials before the fall is over.