Thursday, April 17, 2008

Day in Chicago

We did it! A loooong but satisfying day in Chicago.
Train ride is 2.5 hours each way from South Bend. First stop was the Shedd Aquarium. We'd been there about 8 years ago and I remembered the beluga whales fondly. They made me happy once again... and the dolphin show was very fun. We also enjoyed the Wild Reef exhibit. (Grabbed lunch in the food court -- chili dogs & Italian beef sandwiches -- before leaving.)

A short walk over to the front of the Field Museum (which we skipped this time) to get on our bus tour. (It's one of those hop-on-hop-off things that work really well when you are in a big city for the first time and want to get the lay of the land and see a lot in a short amount of time.) Hopped off at Navy Pier which this time of year isn't all that exciting but was fine for us! Walked the length of it (very very windy!) and looked out at the lake which was a gorgeous aqua/teal/blue color yesterday. Back on the bus in about an hour... and after winding through the city streets a bit we got off at the Hancock. Up, up, up we went (quickly! -- it travels 95 floors in under 40 seconds! -- to the Observatory. Very cool.

Back down again and after a short walk we got back on the bus to complete our tour. Downtown Chicago (at least on a gorgeous, PERFECT, April day) is quite attractive. There is some construction going on but not enough to make it ugly, and the Chicago River cuts a cool, green swath through the city. Plus, you only have to go a few blocks and there is the beautiful Lake. Our tour was mostly about the buildings and art with a few stories thrown in here and there... it was interesting and I do feel like I have more of a feel for what the Windy City (at least the downtown part) is all about. Certainly a lot of very tall buildings.

We got off across from the Art Institute (which we skipped) and walked several blocks, looking for a place to sample Chicago-style pizza. Thankfully we stumbled upon this restaurant pretty quickly (this was the only unplanned part of our day!) and got a great authentic deep-dish pizza dinner for a really good price! After eating we had a bit of time before our train left so we quickly explored Millenium Park.

Back on the train for the looong ride home. (It's 9:15 and younger dd is still asleep.)

I'm so grateful for the awesome weather and how everything pretty much went as planned! (You just never know how things are going to go when you venture forth...)
Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Emily!

I saw your name on the boards and followed the link to your blog! I enjoyed catching up with your family and reading about all the fun things you have been doing.

I'm sorry I've been so bad at keeping up. I have been meaning to send you pics of Eliana from her first bday. I had posted them but remembered you were having trouble getting onto my blog.

Eliana is doing well. Yesterday was the one year anniversary of her heart surgery! Thank you again for being there and supporting us through this really difficult time. It was so helpful to have friends with us.

I hope you'll enjoy the rest of your stay there.

Blessings,
Leslie

Emily said...

Hi Leslie -- thanks for stopping by and posting! :-)

At A Hen's Pace said...

Emily--

How fun to think we were BOTH in downtown Chicago on Wednesday!

I'd say your impression of the city was right on. It's clean and pretty, compared to so many others. Every time we go down there, we ask ourselves why we don't go more often!

I love the beluga whales too. :)

Thanks so much for saying Hi!

~Jeanne