Saturday, May 31, 2008

Garden Update -- More Color this Time

This lovely hydrangea bush is visible right outside the kitchen sink window. It is about 10-12 years old (it was here when we moved in) and this year it has over 200 blooms on it! Most are this blue color but a few have a more pinkish hue.
I'm so glad I learned how to prune it properly!

The late-blooming azaleas are finally doing their thing. I was surprised to see flowers on these four bushes since I thought the deer had removed all the buds for this year!












Japanese iris and a lovely little columbine.












They will both be done very soon.
Astilbe and ostrich fern. I have trouble with the ferns going all brown when the summer heat comes. I am hopeful this summer, maybe with more water, that I can keep them greener. Doubtful though. I probably need to move them to a shadier spot (not sure where) or give them away.
The yarrow is doing awesome this spring. Unfortunately it gets rather leggy (I should have trimmed it up early in the spring) and ends up falling all over everything around it. I did cut off a bunch yesterday that was all over the poor daylilies and put the the blooms in a vase inside. We'll see if that helps. Haven't quite learned yet how to keep it from becoming very messy.
More yarrow and a new plant for me this year: Penstemon digitalis 'Husker Red' (the white flowers, the foliage is reddish).




OK I guess that's enough for now. It's cooler again this morning so I am going to get out there in a few minutes and keep thinning out the lambs ear. That plant is out-of-control.

1 comment:

Lynn Hasty said...

Emily, the flowers are beautiful! Very, very pretty. Hasn't this rain been wonderful after last year's drought?

Lynn ~:-D