Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Duke Gardens Aug 9, '08



When ds and older dd were little and we lived in southwest Durham, we visited Duke Gardens probably once a week, maybe even more! It was a perfect place to wander with small children, especially during the mid-week when most everybody was at work or in school. We'd often have the place almost to ourselves.

It's probably been a year, maybe more, since I've been to the Gardens -- and now I'm going to be there twice in a week! This past Saturday ds and older dd made plans to hang with a few friends, and the Gardens was the chosen venue. So, I decided I'd stay (instead of driving home just to turn back around again) and brought along my camera for some picture-taking fun.

I love these lilies. Need to get me some.


Oh my, this hydrangea is amazing!
Love, love the color.
Here's a closeup.





The lily pond. They are sponsoring a "prettiest water lily" competition right now... but I didn't vote. Couldn't decide. (Never been much for that favorite thing.)
I love this bridge! They have really worked on this area.

The butterfly garden.


I don't know what this yellow flower is (some kind of rudbeckia?) but it sure is pretty.

1 comment:

MLight said...

Lovely pictures!

Surprisingly, those tall lilies grow pretty well from seeds. I have two or three that I grew from seeds from the original plant - so if you want seeds this fall and a project, just say so.

Those water lilies and perennials look familiar! (grin)