Saturday, October 25, 2008

NC State Fair

Dh and I wandered the Fair last night for several hours while ds and older dd were in the concert. It was so fun! Turns out younger dd was there with her friends' family all evening as well, but we didn't run into each other.

The NC State Fair began in 1850. (Here's more history if you're interested.) It was not held during the Civil War and Reconstruction but since 1869 it has gone on every single year! It moved to its present site in 1928. In 2007 there were 858,611 total fairgoers!

Of course there are all the typical state fair-type things: fried food of all kinds, rides, crafts, exhibits, displays, entertainment (demolition derby, pig races, etc.) music, and fireworks each evening. This was the first time dh and I have been at the Fair in the evening so we enjoyed the different atmosophere. And, since the weather was somewhat rainy & cool, it was not very crowded! The fireworks at 9:45 were awesome!

I loved looking at all the 4-H crafts & artwork, the food entries, and the vegetable entries. Here's a picture of this year's winning 600+ lb pumpkin! The animals were also fun -- cows, steer, piggies, goats, etc. We watched the 4-H kids for a bit, showing their goats. We found a friend's etching and I was inspired to encourage the kids to maybe enter something next year. Or I could, for that matter!

The "Village of Yesteryear" was also interesting -- an amazing variety of handmade crafts. I'm so glad we live close to Raleigh and can easily enjoy this annual celebration!

No comments: