Saturday, April 18, 2009

More Garden Update!


[I didn't remember to take any photos until it was too dark outside so this is the best I can do today. Dicentra spectabilis (Old-Fashioned Bleeding Heart) and another type, not sure what it's called exactly!]

Wow, what fun to spend a whole entire afternoon outside working busily, digging, hoping, encouraging the plants to grow and do their thing!

Early today I took younger dd to the rink where she was to be skating all morning. Then I headed off to the two local farmer's markets. This week I did not need eggs or veggies but I did buy some more plants!

After lunch my parents arrived and we headed outdoors. While my dad mowed the lawn, my mom & I potted up a few more herbs and re-arranged the tomato plants I already had. Then we sowed some snow pea seeds (say that 10 times fast!). After some more tidying & prettying up we headed to the front garden bed where we moved around some brunnera seedlings and a new white bleeding heart I bought last week. The finishing touch was placing some round concrete pavers in part of the garden where nothing ever wants to grow. This means I can more easily reach the plants in the middle of the bed and can have a place to sit and look at all my pretty flowers which is what I like to do anyway.

Then we turned our attention to the new bed that is close to the house... this is where I am adding most of the new plants & some shrubs. Today we put in a few more hellebore plants, some creeping sedum, two new azalea bushes, some sweet woodruff, and one of the hollies. I will put the other holly and the viburnum in later this week. We also put several of the round pavers in the middle of the bed so that I can more easily access the plants and to break the bed up visually a bit. Right now they are just boring concrete, but maybe I can figure out how to make them more pretty & decorative.

Lastly we moved around some nicotania that had come up on its own, put an old-fashioned verbena (the lady at the farmer's market said it came from a verbena plant that had been growing at her grandmother's house for decades!), planted another azalea, put in several vinca plants on the bank behind the shed, and then bravely planted some melapodium down at the end of the driveway (we'll see if the deer discover it tonight!). The very last thing we did was put in 3 junipers on the empty bank facing the road. There is a pretty japanese maple there and two crepemyrtle trees. Other than that it's kinda bare so I've been wanting to pretty it up a bit. But of course I can't put anything down that that will interest the deer.

So that's all for now. I don't think I'll be buying much if anything more this Spring. Best to just enjoy what I have and see how the new things do!

Oh and the columbines are opening up so I'll be sure to post some photos of them real soon!

Enjoy your Sunday!

No comments: