Monday, April 20, 2009

Some Garden Photos I Took Today


These are called "Five Spot" I believe. They are growing in a small bed where in the fall I spread two packets of white wildflower seeds given me at a bridal shower last summer! (Sorry, that was a horribly crafted sentence, but I think you can figure out what I meant to say.) Lots of other plants are growing in this little bed, but no others have flowered yet so I don't know what they are!

Here are some pictures of my "woodland garden" bed. This is a raised bed that is away from the house backed up to the woods. It is on the west side of the house and gets some afternoon sun this time of year but mostly it is light shade. There is a sweet olive tree on one side of it and a large pieris bush on the other. In between there are ferns (2 kinds), a small holly bush, irises (2 kinds), columbine (several colors), astilbe (2 kinds), epimedium ("Bishop's hat"), hellebores ("Lenten Rose"), hosta (2 kinds), brunnera, and bleeding heart (2 pink, 1 white). There are also a few small ground-coverish things (creeping jenny and something else whose name I can never remember).




The lily-of-the-valley are doing great! Creeping jenny, Japanese painted fern, columbine, ostrich fern.


Deep purple columbine flowers getting ready to open. They look kinda alien, don't they?



More ferns, lily-of-the valley, and irises.

Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Floral Still Life said...

Your woodland garden looks beautiful! I wish I had one. But where I live it is pretty sunny - not much woods. And my husband has an area about 1 mile away that has some wild flowers but they are by a creek and I wouldn't dare to try and transplant any.

I'm starting to buy a lot of wildflower seeds so I can make floral still life images. I can see how you wouldn't want to disturb the flowers from your garden, but have you ever tried to take some still life floral images? Then you could put an image on your wall.

Today, I posted on my blog a still life image I did of some lily-of-the-valley blossoms. Come by and "smell the flowers" at http://photographyhints.blogspot.com