Tuesday, July 25, 2006

Hot Hot Hot


It's a good thing, actually, that London is experiencing a HEAT WAVE of grand proportions because OUR FAMILY will have an easier time acclimating back to the temps in NC. (It IS all about us, ya know!)

I am typing from the dining room of The Penn Club and sweat is dripping in all directions. (Well, probably mostly down.) There is wireless here in "the Club" so I can catch up on mail and blogging... I know you're pleased.

Our trip here on Monday was without snags. Train ride passed by quickly and we were able to get ourselves and our aforementioned 10+ pieces of luggage into two black cabs without any trouble. After settling in, we headed out towards the River and the London Eye. It was pretty high, I'll say that. I think we all thought it was a neat thing to do. I practiced breathing and tried to suspend all thought.

Today we were up early, for us, and out waiting for the bus at about 8:30 am. We ended up doing LOTS of bus-touring around the city and seeing LOTS of things. It was pretty hot (we were up top in the open-air part) and it got a bit wearying, but in all I think it was a really good way to get the lay of the land, as they say.

With the bus tour came a river catamaran ride. Unfortunately our catamaran broke down! So we had to be rescued by another one... and were given vouchers for a ride another time. I'm not sure if we will do it again or not. With the Eye and the bus tour I think we feel like we've seen enough of the River between the Tower and Big Ben...

This afternoon the two older kids and I went to Her Majesty's Theatre to see Phantom. It was awesome. I have only been to one other big-name production like this (is it a show? musical? not sure...) and that was Evita about 20 years ago. (I don't remember anything about it.) We had reasonably good seats, right in the middle and the front row of the Circle, I think. The lead performers were incredible -- such voices!

E said of all the things we've seen while here this was her favorite. I think they'll both be talking about it for a while.

Tomorrow is supposed to hit 90. We were talking about what we might do, and the big question is, does it have air-conditioning?

2 comments:

NattaScatta said...

Phantom IS a musical. Some may consider it a light opera because the libretto is so operatic! I am so glad that you enjoyed it. It is one of my favorite shows that I have seen. Wicked is still number one, but I would say Phantom is second. I have actually seen it twice... it is so much better to see something close up, to see the facial expressions, but being far back does allow you to see the big picture... I am rambling. What do you think? Closer up or farther back? what did you mean about the river being high? did I miss something? were you high up, or is it far down to the water level? help me understand...

NattaScatta said...

nevermind... i checked your link on the London Eye. that's the high part. Ha!