Tuesday, September 26, 2006

Homeschooling Science

So I was downstairs a few minutes ago straightening up and such, and pondering on how I wanted to blog about homeschooling but I didn't want to be Utterly Boring about it. It occured to me I could just do an occasional topical sort of entry, you know, just kind of casually mention what we are doing and in the process be very helpful and appropriate. And informative.

And then, since Todd commented below that he wanted to talk about Science curricula I felt incredibly confirmed in that thought.

With all that out of the way, let me just say that I love the upper-level science books that we use put out by Apologia. We started with the 7th grade "Exploring Creation with General Science" and then moved on to "Exploring Creation with Physical Science". Last year and this fall Z is finishing up "Exploring Creation with Biology". They also have a Chemistry course, a Physics course, and advanced coursese in all three (Bio, Chem, and Physics).

The guy behind these books is a Christian and it shows. Another nice thing is that they are written to the homeschooling student with a friendly, conversational style. All the experiments and demonstrations are very carefully explained and as the mom, I appreciate how easy it is to figure out what my dd or ds is going to need.

The texts are demanding and very thorough. Each "module" has a test at the end with a study guide to help the student prepare.

So that's my recommendation for upper-level science, hands down.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Glad to offer a little personal confirmation, Emily!

Thanks for the info. I would like to take a look at the texts sometime.