Tuesday, September 26, 2006

There's a Fungus Among Us






We have fungi everywhere. The girls and I went on a picture-taking expedition yesterday morning. There's one in particular that you can see from our kitchen, way, way, back in the woods. It's like a foot tall. Some of them are ugly and bulbous. Some are cute and orange and fairy toadstool-like.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

As a homeschooling mom, I should say, "Wow! Cool!" However, I am saying, "Ewwwwwwwww!"

Anonymous said...

Excellent specimens, Emily, and great photographs to boot!

Perhaps I should lend you - and your homescholars - our field identification guide for mushrooms and other fungi?

(I suppose that I should admit to having tried unsuccessfully to get Middle Daughter to identify a very interesting shelf fungus they found at the wood's edge the other day.)

Emily said...

Yea actually I *would* like to borrow that guide. I don't think we have one that is fungi-specific.

We actually had some 'shrooms last year that pushed their way up THROUGH the blacktop driveway! Amazing.

Anonymous said...

We'll get the field guide to you in the next week or so.

Lynn Hasty said...

Emily, I love it! We saw such amazing mushrooms on our walk this week. Two of yours -- well, we saw nothing like them! There are so many different species!

Thanks for sharing,
Lynn